December 11, 2006
Writing a blog is hard work! Having spent the past four months working on this site, and scanning the blogosphere looking for useful articles, I’m convinced that most bloggers do not get enough credit for the incredible information they provide. One of the stated goals for edgeblog is to provide useful, original content as a way of giving something back to the Internet community, rather than just linking to content found elsewhere. Creating new content every week is a tough job, but we welcome the challenge.
With that said, I want to actively promote the concept of e-Tipping. e-Tipping is a way to pay the blogger back for the hard work they have put into their blog, similar to leaving a tip at a restaurant. There are several ways to leave an “e-Tip”:
- Click the ads!!! – Most blogs these days have ads. If you like the article you just read, visit the site’s sponsors. The blogger will make, on average, about $.05 per click…not much of a tip, but it adds up when a lot of people are reading your blog. UPDATE 06/01/2007: It is against Google’s terms and conditions to directly ask people to click your ad links. I respect Google and their terms, and would not want to circumvent their business model. Most Google ads are contextually related to the blog article. So, if you find an article valuable, take the time to look at the ads. If you are interested in any of the products, by all means click the ad, but please do not click ads soley for the purpose of driving up click revenue for the blogger.
- Donate – Many blogs offer paypal links. If you find the articles especially useful, make a small cash donation. This is often the best way to support a blogger if you want him to provide you with specific additional information.
- Leave a Comment – Blogging can be a lonely business. Comments show you care. They also make articles seem more relevant to the next reader.
- Digg/Slashdot/Link the article – Bloggers want traffic. The more the better. Also, Google ads pay for page views, as well as clicks. Help the blogger promote their site, and they will continue to create great content.
- Read the rest of the blog – Chances are you found the blog from a link aggregator. If you find the article useful, click out to the parent site, and scan some of the other articles. You’ll probably find other articles of interest, worthy of your time and e-Tips.
In the past month, edgeblog has benefited greatly from other blogs and sites linking to us. As an e-Tip to them, let me encourage you to visit each of these. They are quality sites worthy of your attention. Like the comic said, “I’ll be appearing here every night this week, and don’t forget to e-Tip your blogger!”
Please visit our friends and leave an e-Tip: